Friday, December 24, 2010

So this is Christmas

There should probably be another blog before this, a reflection of time in Wales, but it can wait.

It's snowing outside. Not surprising seeing as how it's December. But this seems special. It's Christmas Eve and there is snow. And my world seems to have slowed to the impossible pace, where the flakes seems to fall in slow-motion.
There's a sort of magic to Christmas in my mind. A breath of fresh air, a chance to shed the usual hustle and bustle of the world for one day. One whole day to sit and relax and enjoy the day, be it with family, friends, or alone.
Christmas will come, and in the morning I will join my family, though it has changed so much over the past 3 years, in a day of being together. But not tonight, Christmas Eve is my chance to be alone. To reflect on the past year and what has happened in the 365 days between the last Christmas Eve. All that I have gained and lost and haven't attained yet, how I grew up, how I got older. It's a chance for me to almost say goodbye to the past year. To me Christmas and New Years are about beginnings and hellos. I get nostalgic on Christmas Eve.


As I sit here, wallowing in nostalgia and listening to the voices of my mom and eldest brother drift faintly in the room, obscured by distance and walls and doors so that only the tone remains, I think of everyone I care about in this time.

I wish I was better with the mushy words, that they would come as well as simple reflection, but I can't make them fit right in my head. So I will simply say:

To all my family and friends around the world and sitting in my house,
You mean more to me than I can ever hope to say. I feel so lucky to know and share time with each and every one of you. You brighten my days, entertain my afternoons, stay up late with me at night, listen, talk at me, act like catty bitches, and make my life the ridiculously amazing thing it is.
I don't know what I would do without you. Thank you for the best gift you could ever give: yourselves and your time.

Merry Christmas.

Love, Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment